Southern shrimp and grits is one of my favourite things to eat at a restaurant called Jonah’s in Thomasville, Georgia. This recipe is my home-cooked version, I like to garnish it with spring onions and thin slices of red chilli for decoration and that extra kick of flavour.
Prep: 15 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
475ml of chicken stock
475ml of milk
75 grams of butter
3/4 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
170 grams of uncooked yellow or white corn grits (a finer version of polenta)
225 grams of grated cheddar cheese
For the Shrimp:
8 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
1 lb uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon Cajun or blackened seasoning
4 green onions, chopped
- In a large saucepan, mix the broth, milk, butter, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Slowly stir in grits and reduce heat. Cover the saucepan and cook for 12-15 minutes or until the texture becomes thick.
- Then, stir in the cheese until it’s melted. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove to paper towels and drain with a slotted spoon, reserving 4 teaspoons of drippings.
- Sauté the shrimp with garlic and seasoning in the drippings and cook until the shrimp turns pink.
- Serve with the grits and garnish with onions